Il Castello Alfonsino di Brindisi
Of the fortified complex called Castle Alfonsino and Forte to Sea, that it rises on a island of a small archipelago to the mouth of the port of Is drunk a toast, news is had beginning from 1481, to the next day of the battle of Otranto.The put defensive system to point from the Aragoneses in order to contrast the Turkish threat, determined the choice to transform Is drunk a toast in the main military garrison of the Reign.Upgraded the said earth Castle “”, of age sveva, determined Alfonso of Aragon therefore to fortify the island of S.Andrea, costruendovi a castle in order to defend the port and the city, inglobando the rests of a preesistente structure angioina. Constructed directly on the reef with masonries in calcarenite local in tans and pietrame legacies with bolus, the castle introduces a plant trapezia with to concerns two pentagonal bastions to us and a circular tower, set up on marked walls to shoe outside from toriche frames.The inner atmospheres are articulated around to a sopraelevata rectangular court regarding the sea level, from which dipartono the rampe that they lead to the wide galleries of the flat earth and to the communication trenches in quota on which the accesses to the disposed halls of representation are opened also on two levels.The Fort was constructed beginning from 1554 for wanting of Filippo of Austria and was completed in approximately fifty-five years (1554-1609) under the direction of Giulio Cesar Hawk, knight of the Order of Mortar and many times over General Captain against the Turks.This last structure, called Hard to Sea or Work to Horn, defines a antemurale poderoso with function of fencing of intermediate, isolated the island from before in the 1598 through the realization of a channel (channel angioino), within which the lodgings of the truppe and the garrisons were arranged.It walls of the Work to Horn are developed in plant in form of trapeze lengthened with the turned side smaller towards a quadrangular dock, extraordinary court of water sluice to South from the castle. The greater sides are inframmezzati from two poligonali bastions, of S.Pedro and S.Maria. The northern forehead is fortified to concerns to us of pentagonal bastions, placing North wind to, and the Intavolata to Levant.
To completed intense activities Castle and Fort, enriched with the insertion of monumental portals sormontati from carved coats of arms, were called from the Spanish “Isla Fortalera que abre el Large Puerto”.With the treaty of Utrecht and Radstadt the complex was entrusted in 1715 the Germans, then stormed and conquered from the French Revolutionary and finally, in 1815, riannesso to the patrimony of the destined Reign of Naples and to contagious disease hospital.It follows a long phase of decline redeemed to end `800 when It is drunk a toast becomes a naval base of first slowly and the Fort to Sea becomes garrison of the R.Marina, destined, to the explosion of the Great War, to warehouse of torpedos and of the realtivi detonators. The truppe they will find lodging in the Work to Horn.From the second half of the past century the complex has quickly a slow decline for graduates them abandonment of the garrison from the soldiers. The lack of manutentive works has determined between 1974 and 1977 a culminated landslide series, in 1979 in the loss of a wide part of the “Almazer de palbora” (poligonale Bastion of North the West) and of the “Iglesia of the Puerto viecho” and, in 1980, the landslide of a consisting field of the communication trench of patrol between the Real Door and the Work to Horn.
In 1984 the dismissione of the complex happens that comes formally taken in delivery from the Federal property of the State, entrusts than it to the Soprintendenza for Architectonic, Landscaped the Assets and Historical Artistic of the Puglia.Beginning from 1981 the Soprintendenza has put into effect diffuse aimed participations to check the degradation phenomena that determine the separation of lapideo material from masonries exposed to the demolitrice action of the sea. Waiting for to define the destination of use of the monumental complex, it has been put into effect a systematic program of conservativo restoration of the Castle with the objective to concur the reading, in the respect of the historical stratifications, the original system altered from the tampering brought in last the two centuries, and started the recovery of the Work on Horn.
The necessity to realize a track of access to these last bastions has concurred moreover to bring to light, to of under of the land vegetable covered from driven in spot, the original paving in carparo that it defines continuous a ring-like distance along the spalti of walls connecting the covers of the two arms of the lodgings of the truppe.